Friday, May 17, 2013

Let IT Go Already!


How many of you are tired of yo-yoing back and forth between loving the old you and wanting something to shift or change about the old you?

Well the theme for this month is “Shed the Old You and Embrace the New You!”

As always please provide your feedback and comments to be via email (info@letspursueyou.com) and/or on my Facebook page! 

*************

Reflection for the Week
“To create at my optimal level, I will be called to forgo that which has served me in the past, to fully embrace that which will serve me today.” ~ Akua Soadwa

It was September 2011. I was doing a regular run/walk around Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York. Although I am a runner, well let me be more specific, a sprinter, I never jogged the entire length of the park (3+ miles) without stopping.  It was always a quick sprint then I would stop. Another quick sprint, then I would stop again. Although I would go the distance and get around the entire park, my endurance was questionable because I ALWAYS and in ALL WAYS stopped when I got to a hill or to a “difficult” part of the route.

So as I approached “the death hill” that I hated running up, I figured I would do what I ALWAYS and in ALL WAYS did – stop. But for some reason, on this particular day I wasn’t intimidated by the hill. For the first time I saw it as an opportunity to challenge myself.  For the first time I realized that what I ALWAYS did was no longer an option – I saw something more interesting – an opportunity to experience the same hill differently.

So I found a great balance between pacing and sprinting and made my way all the way to the top of the hill. I wasn’t as tired as I thought I was going to be. I was more ecstatic that I actually did it!

I did it.

However I would not have been able to experience that had I continued to do what I normally did. And as I completed the hill, I thought to myself – I need more of a physical challenge like this in my life right now. Within 48 hours I decided to do my first half marathon – and I trained for it in 6 weeks. Typically people take 10 weeks or longer to train for an intense race like the half-marathon. I did it in 6 weeks.

I needed to know that I could experience myself as something other than the way I had already seen myself. I needed to experience myself as extra-ordinary. So I did something extraordinary – signed up for a half-marathon having never run longer than a mile without stopping. And as a result, my creativity was heightened and I gained a newfound appreciation for my physical vessel and for my deep connectedness to spirit, God, people and the world. 

But in order for me to get there, I had to get real - REAL with myself.  I had to admit that it was time for something different, even though I didn’t know what it was going to entail. I had to admit that what I did yesterday wasn’t enough in that moment. I had to do a self-inventory. The self-inventory allowed for a new and extra-ordinary opportunity to emerge on a seemingly ordinary day.

Get into Action
Time for YOUR Self-Inventory
If you were to do your own self-inventory right now:

  1. What are some relationships, habits, etc. that have served you in your past but no longer serve you today?
  2. What do you need to forgo, but you have been resisting?
  3. What ordinary things have you been tolerating?


Answer these questions and take 1 action in each of these areas to allow for an extra-ordinary opportunity to present itself.

Remember that you are just one conversation and one action away from having everything you want!

:) Akua

**********
About Let’s Pursue You
At Let's Pursue You we are committed to helping women who are struggling with putting themselves first, embrace the power of “HELL NO” so they can create the lives they love.

Let’s Pursue You creates spaces that provide people with an opportunity to articulate what “pursuing them” really looks like and we provide clear action plans and accountability to support them with making it happen.

Schedule A Complimentary “I Love My Life” Breakthrough Session
Tired of not being in love with your life the way you want to? Overwhelmed with life and have limited or no time to do things that you care about? Ready to love your life a lil’ more? Or ready to love your life period? Schedule your complimentary session with me and get a breakthrough in productivity and in making time for YOU.

Schedule yourself today! Schedule a Session!


No comments:

Post a Comment